A little girl was awarded $8 million dollars after getting brain damage from eating a piece of KFC chicken that was poisoned with salmonella. Monika Samaan of Sydney, Australia is now 14 years old and still confined to a wheelchair, where she is going to be for the rest of her life.
The girl became so sick that she couldn’t speak for a very long period of time. Her parents say that the money will help with the girl’s care, but attorneys for KFC are trying to make things as difficult as possible for the girl, filing more court papers to keep her family from getting the money they need.
KFC is trying to make the little girl and her family pay thousands of dollars in company legal costs. They also denying that they are responsible for what happened to her. A number of poor hygiene practices were revealed in the restaurant where the girl got sick.
KFC is citing a “failure to consider evidence” during the initial hearing, and an “error in the judge’s factual findings.”
The family says that they really need the money and that since she is getting bigger, it is getting more and more difficult to lift her up and take care of her basic needs. Maybe KFC needs to go ahead and pay the money before they lose millions more in bad publicity. I’m losing my taste for chicken already.